TECHNET Archives

September 2006

From:
Gene Felder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2006 11:07:51 -0700
ANSI/ESD S20.20 Table 1 for ESD Floor is less than 1 x 10E9 ohms.  However,
if you plan to ground mobile workers, you should consider meeting Table 1's
Flooring-Footwear System less than 3.5 x 10E7 ohms per ESD S97.1 or less
than 100 volt generation per ESD 97.2.

The Handbook is TR20.20, here's some excerpts:

5.3.4.7.2 Rubber and Vinyl Tile and Sheet Goods
Resilient floor coverings are the most frequently used permanent floor
materials.
The material composition is usually rubber, vinyl, or vinyl composition.
Material form can be either tile or sheet. Resistance ranges from 2.5 x 104
to 1.0
x 1010 ohms. Various patterns, colors, and sizes are available.
Resilient floor coverings offer attractive appearance and resistance to many
commonly used chemicals. Most materials can be welded and self-coved for
seamless installation in clean rooms. They can be applied to access floors.
Vinyl floor materials may require more maintenance than other permanent
alternatives; rubber flooring requires somewhat less maintenance than vinyl.
Some resilient floors may be slippery, particularly when wet. They may be
adversely affected by heavy vehicular traffic. The presence of carbon in
some
of these materials may restrict their use in some clean room applications,
although the abrasion resistance of these materials is quite good.
Additionally,
vinyl may outgas and may not be applicable in some clean rooms.

5.3.4.7.5 Carpeting
Historically limited to less sensitive environments, carpeting is now
available
with static control properties needed in more sensitive areas. Carpeting is
available in resistance ranges of 2.5 x 104 to 1.0 x 1010 ohms. It has
aesthetic
and acoustical benefits and is a morale booster to employees. Maintenance
costs
tend to be lower on carpeting than on resilient floor materials. In the form
of
carpet tiles, it can be used on access floor panels. Carpet, however, is not
well
suited for use in area's subject to excessive water and chemical spills,
exposure
to significant amounts of hot solder, heavy vehicular traffic, or in clean
rooms.

5.3.4.7.8 Floor Finishes
Static-limiting floor finishes are applied to a variety of existing
floors--standard
vinyl, rubber, or vinyl composition tile, or static control flooring--to
reduce the
generation of electrostatic charges. As a floor finish, they protect and
they
improve the appearance of the floor, and make floor maintenance easier.
Floor
finishes have flexibility of use, can be applied throughout a facility, and
can
provide whole area protection.
These materials also have some disadvantages. Some surfactant type finishes
may become too slippery. Some finishes are subject to being washed off with
ordinary water. Some finishes can be worn away readily. They require
additional monitoring to make sure that the finish is still working.
Improper
application and maintenance may cause inconsistent performance of the
finish.
Some floor finishes may be incompatible with clean room requirements.

5.3.4.13 Performance Monitoring
Another consideration is the monitoring requirement to assure that the
floor material is still functioning within specifications. The types of
monitoring and type of equipment are considerations. In some cases, a
simple electrical resistance test with a megohmmeter may suffice. In
others, a static charge generation test may be required.

Gene Felder