TECHNET Archives

September 2006

From:
Joe Fjelstad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 22:50:43 EDT
Greetings Wayne,

I realized that I did not really respond fully to your message of  yesterday.

You are right in your thinking and observations based on current best
practices and it is a detail that should be corrected/clarified/brought  current. I
was recounting experiences that likely don't hold well today  with current
chemistry and equipment.

My experience was primarily been with copper ammonia alkaline etchants
beginning in the early 1970s and etching equipment not up to today's quality.

We observed occasions where the sharp corners when fluid exchange was not
good and copper etching irregular where this occurred.

One of the curious things about alkaline etch chemistry is that the  etch
rate of the chemistry increases with metal concentration which is the  genesis of
the suggestion based on the observations at the time.

As you suggest, design tools are not likely to make acute angles  without
permission. Again, the more important reason today remains the  one mentioned
earlier and related to simple mechanical issues and  electrical performance.

A very good article on alkaline etch by Karl Deitz can be  found at the
following link if you have  interest.

_http://www2.dupont.com/Imaging_Materials/en_US/assets/downloads/techtalk/TT02
05.pdf#search=%22%22etch%20rate%22%20%22ammonium%20chloride%22%22_
(http://www2.dupont.com/Imaging_Materials/en_US/assets/downloads/techtalk/TT0205.pdf#sear
ch=""etch%20rate"%20"ammonium%20chloride"")

Thanks for your observations and comments.

Kind regards,
Joe