TECHNET Archives

August 2006

From:
Ofer Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Ofer Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2006 12:30:59 +0200
Hello all,
It's long since my previous participation. I was focused on R&D (CMMI),
so couldn't be involved here. Yet, I monitored the postings, and think
that this is one of the most professional forums I ever met.

And to my question: A significant batch of PCBs failed on de-lamination.
The failure was identified, of course, only after the assembly. There is
a big variety of components (BGA 1mm, BGA 0.8 mm, FQPs and other SMT
components with pitch of 0.5 mm or bigger.

We are considering recycling the components. The BGAs shall be removed
and re-balled (using laser welding - a process I personally do not
know). The process will be done by specialized company. The components
are intended for SnPb soldering, and are for telecom products.

We take for granted that the reliability of the components will be
affected (internal balls, wire bonds, package de-lamination, etc.). Some
of the damage shall be identified in the screening tests and others will
be found only in the field.

My questions:
1.      Did anyone of you experience mass recycling of components?
2.      Can the reduction of reliability be quantified? If possible -
divided into complete failure, that will be identified during the
production screening, and reliability reduction, that will be cause a
field failure.

Regards

Ofer Cohen

Director - Quality Assurance and Reliability

SIEMENS COM FN A SB