TECHNET Archives

August 2006

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2006 12:43:55 +0300
IMHO, avoiding the production of burrs is a better technique than
deburring. This implies as near-perfect drill bits as possible, with a
controlled geometry to very tight tolerances, the correct rotational
speed, pressure and advance and the use of the correct entry and exit
materials.

The use of abrasives, in any form, is not advisable, as they contaminate
the surface with implanted particles, often swaged over, and the plastic
matrix of brushes can cause polymer smearing. It is my experience that
abrasive cleaning causes more harm than good.

I touched on these matters in more detail in my book. (Section 7.2.3 for
burr-free drilling, 7.2.4 for deburring and abrasive cleaning)

Brian

--
http://www.cypenv.org Cyprus environment/energy
http://www.cypenv.org/worldenv World environment/energy