TECHNET Archives

August 2006

From:
Mike Buetow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Mike Buetow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2006 09:51:08 -0400
Werner has his name on as many IPC standards as anyone. That said, when I worked in IPC's standards department we as a rule did not go back and massage or edit text (unless we saw a blatant typo, such as a misspelling) once the Interim Final was voted on. Am I'm not so sure I'd want it any other way. The task groups spend an extraordinary amount of time wordsmithing these documents, and they sometimes break the rules of proper grammar. But the IPC tech staff are not technical editors either, and less familiar with the technology and methods about which the standards are being written. The potential for creating errors * however inadvertent * is troubling.

I'm not going to explain the standards development process here, but I'm sure someone from IPC will do so (nudge nudge). Suffice it to say, no one should be rewriting documents at the Interim Final (last) stage. That's intended to be a up/down vote.

Mike Buetow
Editor in Chief
Circuits Assembly
30 Glenburnie Road
Boston, MA 02131 USA
W/mobile: 617-327-4702

PCB Design East, pcbeast.com
Sept. 25-29, in RTP, North Carolina

>>> [log in to unmask] 8/31/2006 9:23 AM >>>

Hi Brian & Inge and others,
Brian is absolutely correct in his criticism of the editorial quality of this
balloted draft.
Please note, it is a draft, not the final document. During the balloting
process, many of these shortcomings are recommended for change on the 'IPC
Consensus Vote & Comment Form' which has a column titled 'Type of Recommendation:
Editorial (E)'*editorial change recommendations are almost routinely accepted by
the committee during the next meeting [in this case at IPCWorks].
During the construction of IPC documents, the contributions of many diverse
contributors are in many cases simply incorporated; the emphasis being on the
technical content and being as inclusive as possible. This leads often to
repetitions, disconnects, and almost always to a hotchpotch of different styles,
particularly as to language and grammar. It would be nice if IPC had the
manpower to go over these documents prior to balloting; however, these documents
typically undergo significant changes, particularly during the initial balloting
process, and the editorial effort would be wasted.
Many people that have not been involved in the committee comment and make
recommendations and the documents typically improve significantly by the time
they are ready for final editorial efforts by the IPC staff just prior to
typesetting.
So, the initial ballot is not the time to nit-pick [no criticism intended
here], but to make your comments in the proper avenue for it so that the
committee can act on them.

Werner