TECHNET Archives

August 2006

From:
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 16:34:53 -0500
There is no reason that ENIG cannot be used for lead-free
product/processes. Neither ENIG nor IAg has any better or worse
compliance level to RoHS. Both finishes are totally compliant, as far as
I know.
There are arguments that IAg is a better finish over ENIG in terms of
reliability, and vice-versa, but that has nothing to do with RoHS
compliancy. Either one is acceptable. At least, I have not heard
anything otherwise. There are many OEMs and CEMs manufacturing products
intended to be RoHS compliant using both finishes. There are potential
issues associated with improper ENIG plating processes that can be
exacerbated at higher temperatures. This has nothing to do with
compliancy to RoHS, more to do with reliability issues.