LEADFREE Archives

August 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Mike Kirschner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:30:37 -0500
Hi Brian,

Just a couple points. First, I expect REACH to eventually be implemented
more or less globally in much the same hysterical and inconsistent manner
RoHS is rolling out globally. The Environment DG is working with China on
their chemical policy and they're here in the US working with North American
countries and states that have interest in such things (like California and
Massachusetts...not Washington DC at this point).

I'm not so sure it will create unemployment in the EU; your point about
process steps moving outside the EU is a good one though. The expectation,
and quite honestly one of the concerns I hear here in the US, is that this
will drive the EU chemical industry to develop safer alternatives to
existing chemicals ("green chemistry") where feasible, thus giving them a
potential competitive advantage. In any case chemistry and chemical
engineering might be lucrative fields for our kids to go in to if they have
the interest. ;o)

Speaking of Massachusetts, it's time for another advertisement. I think I've
mentioned this before, but now it's germaine to the topic... The Lowell
Center for Sustainable Production (part of the University of Massachusetts)
is putting on short series of inexpensive seminars about REACH here in the
US. I'm not participating but I'll attend the one in Foster City! Here's the
link:

http://www.chemicalspolicy.org/registration.shtml

Mike

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 11:27:45 +0300, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>No, it's not going to be like RoHS, it's going to be far worse :-(
>You'll see this when speciality chemicals you use are no longer
>available because the cost of homologating them will push the price up
>by a few hundred pounds or euros/kg, so manufacturers just won't do it.
>The biggest effect it will have is to force European manufacturers to
>export their processes (where the chemicals are used as a process agent
>and do not remain in the finished product) to countries where such
>regulations do not exist, such as the Far East or South Asia.
>
>As I have said before, I would welcome REACH, provided it was introduced
>globally and not just in one economic region. This would put everyone on
>an equal footing. As it is, it will create unemployment in many European
>industries.
>
>Brian
>
>Paul Jackson wrote:
>> Is REACH going to be like RoHS... what does it mean for the industry as a
whole....?

>> http://www.netregs.gov.uk/netregs/legislation/380525/1285481/?lang=_e
>>

>> Paul Jackson
>> Hotline Purchasing Manager
>> Black Box Network Services
>> Tel: 0118 965 5225
>> Fax: 0118 9751 565
>> E-Mail:  Paul <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]
>>
>> Web: www.blackbox.co.uk
>>
>> One source for worldwide infrastructure services

>> One source for worldwide infrastructure services
>> Black Box is the world's largest technical services company dedicated to
designing, building and maintaining today's complicated network
infrastructure systems.
>> Black Box services clients of all sizes in 141 countries throughout the
world.
addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender
by replying to this email.
>> This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by
>> www.blackbox.co.uk

>> the BODY (NOT the subject field): SIGNOFF Leadfree
>> To temporarily stop/(start) delivery of Leadree for vacation breaks send:
SET Leadfree NOMAIL/(MAIL)
>> Search previous postings at: http://listserv.ipc.org/archives
>> Please visit IPC web site
http://www.ipc.org/contentpage.asp?Pageid=4.3.16 for additional information,
or contact Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask] or 847-615-7100 ext.2815