DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

August 2006

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
simon dubreuil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 12:20:41 -0300
> Top  (1/2 oz+1/2 oz) = cu foil
> Core 2-3: Inner1--gnd (1 oz)  inner2--signal 1 (1/2 oz)
> Core 4-5: inner3- pwr (1 oz)  inner4- gnd (1 oz)
> Core 6-7: inner5- signal 2 (1/2 oz) inner6- pwr (1 oz)
> Core 8-9: inner7- signal 3 (1/2 oz) inner8- gnd (1 oz)
> Bottom (1/2 oz+1/2 oz) = cu foil

Hi,
Unsymmetrical builds could cause warp and twist, but Unbalanced copper
distribution could also cause warp and twist.
For your design, I would be more concerned about the mixed copper ounce.
One difficulty for the FAB Assembly is to ensure the core 2-3, core 6-7 and
core 8-9 are punched on the proper side.
I would suggest if possible to avoid mixed copper ounce on the same core,
use 1 oz on all layers, and adapt line width and spacing accordingly.
Ex: Core 4-5 inner3- pwr (1 oz)  inner4- gnd (1 oz) has no risk to put the
core up side down.
(Take note the cores look all the same on FAB assembly.  It is difficult to
recognize which side is .5 oz and which side is 1 oz. )

One way to avoid mixed copper is to use Core construction.
But for your example, we still have mixed copper weight and the copper
thickness not balanced .

> Core 1-2: Layer 1 (1/2 oz)   Inner1--gnd (1 oz)
> Core 3-4: inner2--signal 1 (1/2 oz)  inner3- pwr (1 oz)
> Core 5-6: inner4- gnd (1 oz)  inner5- signal 2 (1/2 oz)
> Core 7-8: inner6- pwr (1 oz) inner7- signal 3 (1/2 oz)
> Core 9-10: inner8- gnd (1 oz) Layer 10

I agree with Charles and Mario, consult your board manufacturer and get
their recommendations.

Best regards,

Simon Dubreuil