DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

August 2006

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2006 21:04:58 -0500
From:
Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
I'm curious about the logic that makes your hole size "just right".
I remember a solderability study that said capillary action works best
somewhere between 11-14 mils over the lead size. Auto-inserters like to have
a little more than that though...

Using your .064 leads (nominal size?) and the midrange (Level B) of IPC-2222
Table 9-3, your range would be .072-.091, but that is without a lead
diameter tolerance.
As the lead diameter tolerance increases, the acceptable hole diameter range
decreases.

I would say the ideal size is probably more like .080

Interesting side note: I looked all over the internet to find typical wire
diameter tolerances based on the AWG sizes... couldn't find anything.

So what IS the tolerance on 14 gauge wire?

onward thru the fog,
Jack