TECHNET Archives

July 2006

From:
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2006 13:02:18 -0500
Hi, Antonio,
I am assuming these components will be required to survive in a space
atmosphere, but may be stored after being soldered in a humid
environment, and could be subjected to extreme g-forces. Therefore I am
recommending you refer to MIL-STD-810F, specifically Method 501.4,
502.4, 507.4, or instead, combined testing as outlined in Method 520.2.
There may be other methods, but you need to determine what they are
based on the service environment the device will see. MIL-STD-810
provides information on how to determine the tests that are necessary.
I would do this after brush cleaning the parts in alcohol, tinning them
in fresh solder with a good water-soluble flux, cleaning them and
permorming a ROSE test, assembling them using normal, qualified assembly
processes to scrap modules, and then subjecting the modules to the test
methods followed by normal electrical test and visual inspection to
verify they are fully functional and do not display further oxidation or
discoloration, and meet the criteria outlined within J-STD-001D.