TECHNET Archives

July 2006

From:
"Barmuta, Mike" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Barmuta, Mike
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2006 09:04:55 -0700
Gentlemen: As I said you need to develop the correct time, temperature
profile in conjunction with the flux activation system for this to work
properly. If it is set up properly it will not burn off the flux. Also
the theology has nothing to do with it. It's the thermal activation and
decomposition temperature ranges of the flux system that must be
considered.

You do not need to run a full blown leadfree profile. There is a middle
ground between a standard Sn/Pb and a Pb free profile. The key is in
determining what that is for the particular board design you are
processing

Yes, components on the board are going to see 230-240C. As I stated,
the problem is getting parts that are compatible with the higher temps.
If you can't you may have to redesign with lower temp parts on the
opposite side of the board as the BGA or if BGA's are on both sides do a
lower temp post reflow. Also you will start seeing more and more parts
with higher temperature ratings from the suppliers. Another thing is
don't take the component data sheet temperature ratings as gospel. Due
to the short duration of time at the higher temps many components do not
have a problem.

Reballing is certainly an option but if you don't want to screw around
with logistics, added cost, inventory, added supply chain complexity and
reballing quality issues then this is another route to take. These
issues become more of a player when running high volume lean production.

I never said it was easy and if you don't have the technical expertise,
material science and resources then choose an alternate path.

Regards

Michael Barmuta

Staff Engineer

Fluke Corp.