TECHNET Archives

July 2006

From:
Chris Schaefer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Chris Schaefer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2006 09:38:45 -0500
Hello everyone,

Its Friday yeeeeehawww! Kansas talk over here...

I am setting my first Pb Free wave soldering line and I have some questions
concerning acheiving an Optimum profile. I am using SAC305 at 509F (265C);
I am using 2 IR heaters (for now until more demand for Pb products come
around); I am using a foam fluxer with Kester 186-18RMA; Speedline
Ultrafill nozzles (chip and laminar); all packaged in an old cerca 94 EPK
Plus. I am currently in the certification stage where I am about to run the
qualification vehicles that will be sent out for testing. Of course I need
to make sure that all is well prior to soldering them, so I would like to
get some feedback from the land of eternal knowledge. I have been shooting
for a topside board temperature of 248F (120C) prior to hitting the wave
and I have achieved this, but the results are not very good. The test
vehicle are single sided with SMT and PTH components, and I thought I would
achieve good solder formation on the leaded components. My question is what
would be the maximum topside temperature I could use with degrading the
substrate and solder joints. I have run the test boards at higher topside
temps. (287F) and get good results, but I'm concerned that it may be too
high. The flux is holding up very well duing the process, so this is not a
problem and I believe that 509F solder bath temp. is a good start. Also,
what should be the maximum board temp. delta during the solder wave? If any
of you have anything to offer I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks Guys and Gals

Have a great weekend...

Chris Schaefer
Suntron Corporation