TECHNET Archives

July 2006

From:
"David D. Hillman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2006 07:25:51 -0500
Hi folks! One other fact to consider is that the formation of silver
sulfide will cause a significant increase in the contact resistance. I
can't seem to find the typical contact resistance value in my database (its
in there somewhere) but I'll keep looking. Silver oxide is as conductive as
elemental silver and silver chlorides only increase the contact resistance
values minimally. Leo - an immersion silver finish that has silver sulfide
on its surface would look black/dark blue/purple visually. Yellow or light
brown would indicate either chlorides or a small amount of silver sulfide.
Good luck.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

             John Burke
             Sent by: TechNet          [log in to unmask]
             <[log in to unmask]>                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
             07/19/2006 11:25          Re: [TN] Immersion Silver for ICT
             AM

             Please respond to
              TechNet E-Mail
                   Forum
             ; Please respond
                John Burke

Me too,

I know that silver oxide is conductive, but I do not think that the
sulphides are.

I have always printed them with solder to avoid cosmetic problems
downstream, and also as a wear surface where card guides are a factor and
the contact is used as an EMI earthing point, although in this latter
instance it is wise to break up the earthing card guide edge ground into a
dot pattern and cover the rest with solder resist.

John