IPC-600-6012 Archives

July 2006

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
IPC-600-6012<[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2006 09:02:31 -0700
From:
"Reed, Randy" <[log in to unmask]>
Pete,

How many coupons failed?  How many were sample? How many solder floats
and at what temperature?

Let discuss the laminate voids a little bit.  The edges of the samples
appear to be clean cut with little deformation of the material.
Assuming the edges were not ground, the sample removal process does not
appear to be the culprit.  Also the shape of the voids (rounded
appearance versus a wedge appearance caused sample removal) suggests the
voids are not due to sample removal.

The voids are not on the coupon with circuitry to the edge.  I am going
to assume this is the typical response for all the coupons.  Since
multiple coupons with thermal stress and circuitry to edge of the coupon
did not have voids, my first conclusion is this may not be a thermal
related defect.

I would investigate the location of the coupons on the panel and the
border file.  The coupons may be located in a low pressure ridge.  The
voids naturally move to this location during lamination and there is
insufficient vacuum draw or a poor border pattern that prevents the
escape of the air.  If this is the case, this is a flaw of the coupon
and not the product.

If the border file is not the issue, I would go back and investigate the
thermal stress again.  There is a series of additional investigations
that would be required for the thermal stress as well as documenting the
voids apparent using darkfield or DIC filtration.

I agree with Susan that I would microsection images adjacent to the
coupon.  Not to verify the images are good but also to see whether of
pressure ridges in the panel layout.

My approach Pete is the lab has reported an anomaly and has fulfilled
their role.  The board shop should supply data for their
investigation/conclusions and not let them IMO you to death.

Randy Reed
Merix Corporation