IPC-600-6012 Archives

July 2006

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
IPC-600-6012<[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2006 19:08:24 -0700
From:
Bob Neves <[log in to unmask]>
Hello Pete,

As you know, the IPC standards establish minimum acceptability
requirement for the inspections performed.  If the product does not meet
these requirements it becomes non-conforming.  This does not necessarily
mean scrap.  It means that with our generic standard, the samples did
not meet the stated requirements and must be dispositioned outside the
standard.

It is the fiduciary duty of any testing organization (internal or
external) to note all anomalies to the standard found anywhere in the
sample taken.  As you correctly stated they may be, but are not required
to be manufacturing experts, but they are required to be experts in the
requirements of the standard.

This particular inspection requirement is meant to detect laminate voids
"not" induced by Thermal Stress (ie. The "thermal zone" exclusion) or
voids affected by thermal stress in an area where they should not be
affected (between the holes, .003" away from the copper).  The
appearance of voids anywhere outside the thermal zone is specifically
what this criteria is meant to detect.  The ".003" reference in the
standard is meant only to define the area where "not" to inspect (due to
thermal stress damage).

The void issue you describe may certainly be attributable to a valid and
typical cause that may have no relevance to the board or the end product
needs.  It may also be indicative of a quality issue that could affect
the end product in cases where it is not assignable to the cause you
mention.  Changing the inspection criteria to ignore this won't change
that fact. In these "out of the ordinary" cases (thick board, high layer
count, low pressure area, etc...), it is up to the board supplier and
purchaser to work acceptability of this non-conformance out between
them.  It is an unfortunate fact that our standards will only cover
PCB's that fit into the big part of the bell curve (close to normal).

Best Regards,

Bob Neves
Chairman
Microtek Labs