TECHNET Archives

June 2006

From:
Gerald Gagnon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Gerald Gagnon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 2006 15:11:22 -0400
Chris & Werner,

Thanks for the quick reply.

We make some automotive products and tend to use fine pitch peripheral
leaded parts which take up some room and are harder to route.

I suggested investigating 1.27mm BGA solutions as they can pack the same
pins in a smaller area, not too bad to assemble, and easier to route the PWB
in less layers.

I'd never suggest below 1mm pitch BGA in any case for products below Class
2/3.

The BGA suggestion was not too well received. At my former employer, BGAs
were routinedly used and passed some fairly severe shock and vibration
testing. Not under-the-hood but close enough to suggest taking a look...

Gerry