TECHNET Archives

June 2006

From:
Camille Good <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Camille Good <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2006 13:21:07 -0700
Another possible cause is conflicting file type assignments. WinXP has a list of file types and associated programs. For instance, .doc files are typically assigned to Microsoft Word.

  Often, when a program is installed it will enter change that list of file types & associated applications to make itself the default program for some file types. Some programs will ask your permission to make this change during the installation process, some will not.

  To see if this is what is causing the problem, look at the file types that you typically use with eDrawings2006 (I know this happens at start-up, but the program might be trying to load into memory the most recently viewed files or something like that) and see what Windows thinks their default application is. You can find that list in Windows Start (lower left hand of screen on most WinXP computers) --> My Computer (application) --> Tools (pull-down menu in My Computer) --> Folder Options... (option under Tools) --> File Types (tab in Folder Options window). If you need to change the file associations, you can do that in the "File Types" tab by selecting the file type and then clicking on the "Change" or "Advanced" buttons in that same window.

  I don't know for sure if mixed-up file associations is what is causing your problem, but it sounds similar to a problem I had on my home computer when three image-viewing programs started squabbling about who was the default viewer for .jpg files. Once I manually changed the file type associations back to where I wanted (which was NOT the Microsoft Media Viewer), I quit having the problems where I would open up my digital camera software and immediately have Microsoft Media Viewer pop up too.

  Hope this helps,
  -Camille Good
  Portland, Oregon

Olav Folland <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Terry,
Right-click on the shortcut and verify it has the correct target. Also,
do you get the same behaviour if you run the offending program from the
start menu?