TECHNET Archives

June 2006

TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Hfjord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2006 20:38:06 +0200
Scott,

how on earth do you pronounce your name? The 'v' concerns me.
About CBGAs, we may be happy not listening to those stories, or we may be
stupid. In fact, we have been using ceramic parts (not only CBGAs) on FR-4
the last 20 years without any significant problems. The bumble bee can't
fly, says the calculating engineers, but it doesn't know that and just
flies. Extreme conditions, like immersion into cold liquids and back to
boiling liquids will probably cause cracks, but our products live an
ordinary MIL life. Old IBM supercomputers had ceramic items as big as 80x80
millimeters with up to 15,000 solder bumps, mounted on FR-4, and they
worked. I think I have some still somewhere. I'll see if I have still papers
from my work with CBGAs, many years have gone since that time.
Happy Holden may have more to say about CBGAs. At least he was very positive
to CBGAs when I listened to his CBGAs sessions hundred years ago.

But you need a 100% solder process guidance. And flat and well engineered
boards. CBGAs on warpy, commercial TV kit boards won't work, I think.

Nowadays, we use ceramic parts mostly for high power devices.  As the
ceramic c.omponents are more expensive and sometimes risky (BeO), we try to
avoid them

Ingemar Hernefjord
Ericsson Microwave Systems