TECHNET Archives

June 2006

From:
Joe Fjelstad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2006 11:49:02 EDT
I have heard from a trusted source of one manufacturer who is seeing a  3%
increase in returns for the same product produced lead-free vs the  traditional
solder product. I don't have detail on disposition but the numbers  seem
telling enough. Where there is one there are likely more.

3% may seem small but it can be a huge number. When all is  factored in, with
today's thin margins, it could make the difference  between making profit and
a loss and a manufacture can go broke on warranties if  products are not
close to perfect. Unless it is designed and priced to be  tossed when the battery
runs out (sort of like some MP3 players... ;-)

I don't know who said it first but I have heard in the past  that "Quality is
best measured, not by the return of the product,  but by the return of the
customer" I have only on rare occasions  allowed myself to be bitten twice by
poor quality products.

Unless some truth and reason is allowed to enter into the story, this sad
saga of the electronics industry is going to be a long sorrowful read  and I am
afraid and the environment is poised to be one of the biggest  losers. One
recent bright spot is John Burke and his RoHSUSA.com web  site. The truth is a
beautiful thing. It loves life and it just won't stay  buried.

Just some thoughts...
Joe