TECHNET Archives

June 2006

From:
"McCabe, Chris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, McCabe, Chris
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2006 11:49:38 -0400
Tom, Ramon,
       Good replies, but I think a couple of things you mentioned may need clarification. I believe when you mention "several rows of bars that are square" that you are referring to a 2D symbol, specifically a data matrix symbol (there are sever others). The data matrix (for example an ECC200 data matrix) takes up less real estate on a board/assembly than a barcode, holds more data and has error correction capability built in. In my reply, I am assuming you want to use a "system" to track the sub-components traced, rather then label that information on a top level, which you can do using 2D if you don't have a lot of sub-assemblies.
        You didn't mention if you are making a PCB, but if you are, one option is to laser etch the symbol (which works on sub-assemblies as well) We use laser-etch systems from Control Micro Systems to etch 2D data matrix serial numbers on all our boards, and some sub-assemblies. The cost is less per unit than labels (a lot less than kapton), but there is a higher up-font capital purchase for the laser.
        There are 2D and 1D symbol verifiers and no matter what kind of symbol you place (1D, 2D, etc), you should sample some assemblies and verify that the symbols are readable using a verifier. With 2D, most conveyor mounted readers can tell you what % of the ECC code you are using and also list other parameters to verify the quality of the etch/label. We use verification in our lasers, so the board/sub-assembly never leaves the laser if the etched symbol can not be read.
        As I mentioned, a data matrix symbol can also be applied via label. One downside to 2D is the readers can be more expensive than a 1D barcode scanner. For example, a read-on-the fly conveyor mounted scanner, can run about $3K.
        One you have the product ID (serial number, etc) of the board/sub-assembly, you have to "marry" it with all the lot numbers/part numbers of your sub assemblies.
          If one of the things you have to trace are the lots of the components on your PCB, you can do this via tracking the reels (on automation equipment). There are systems that do this, they are generally referred to as feeder-verification systems (to ensure you have the correct reel in the correct slot) and several companies make them. We use a solution called Bartector. All of these solutions can also do traceability as well. Some automation vendors, such as Siemens, offer these solutions as options.
      Once you go down this path, you have to be careful that your vendors apply a bar code with the information you require on each reel they supply (at times there are many labels, so you need to train the operators to find the "right" one"). You also have to specify to your suppliers, they can't mix lots on a reel and if you splice reels, you need to ensure that operators always scan in the new reel when they splice. You can use a splice-detector to know when you are using the "new" reel.
         The "best" feeder verification/traceability solutions are closed-loop and "talk" to the automation equipment (when you scan in a reel with 10,000 parts and you place your 11,000th part. you know the operator didn't scan in the new reel, etc). These systems also track mis-picks and can inform an operator that a reel is about to run out, etc.
      I hope this helps, if you need more information, you can contact me.

Regards,
Chris