TECHNET Archives

June 2006

From:
Denis Morrissey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Denis Morrissey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2006 08:44:51 -0400
Adam,

Ammoniacal etch needs to be air agitated or sprayed so that the cuprous ions
are oxidized back to cupric ions. Which actually do the etching.  In the
presence of oxygen, the Cu(+1) should easily convert back to Cu(+2), and so
no need to measure it.  In cupric chloride etchants, the ORP probe measures
the active chlorine in solution, which converts the Cu(+1) back to Cu(+2) so
it can etch the copper metal.  Hope this helps.

Regards,

Denis Morrissey
Senior Manager- Wet Process Engineering
Tel:  (631) 845-1041 EXT: 18