TECHNET Archives

June 2006

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:01:47 -0700
I guess that my email sparked off some dialogue in Europe, what came back
from the SMART group was an email from Peter Swanson of SMART Group in
answer to a member question raised by the mailing..

The Ice is cracking, just need the IPC to take a similar view on "what it
can do for its members" maybe get Dieter to step in and call Peter?? And I
believe the leverage needed would be complete no?

The dialogue below is in response to a question from a SMART member asking:

What I can't understand is why somebody like the Smart Group did not point
all this out to the EU before we had to put up with this expensive nonsense.

Dave

++++++++++++++++++++

David Hudson

Email response from Peter Swanson:

I suppose some background might be helpful.

The SMART Group did have some involvement at the consultation stage of the
legislation, and made comments about the suitability of it at that time. I
do not remember the exact details, but if I recall correctly, Mike Judd was
involved. More information can be arranged.

When it was seen to be inevitable that the RoHS legislation would go
through, the SMART Group's Steering Committee agreed that:

A) we would not take any political stance on the lead-free issue, and so
would not lobby for or against it

and

B) we would press ahead full on with helping our membership and the industry
at large with coping with it

The rationale was as follows: we know how much effort it takes to be a
lobbyist to the EU. The experience of similar associations to ours told us
that it is pretty much a full time job, using experience, skills and
resource which we just do not have. We would need to raise our membership
fees considerably (probably by a factor of 10) to be able to afford it. This
sort of activity is not within our remit.

There are organisations which are far better positioned to accomplish this,
with closer links to government and industry movers and shakers, like
Intellect, IPC, etc. This is their job. We would have been foolish to take
on this job ourselves, and possibly negligent to spend our members' money on
something which is beyond our abilities.

I guess we all have reservations about the legislation, some more than
others.

Nevertheless, on realising that the legislation was inevitable, and taking a
pragmatic view, we decided that our job was to assist our members and the
industry at large in tackling the technical issues involved in meeting RoHS.

This we have achieved, and will continue to do so, with, I must say, huge
success. Our seminars and events on the subject have been both numerous and
heavily attended, and have been chock full of the meaty issues - some of
which have concerned non-technical issues (logistics, legal, etc). Being a
part of the LEADOUT project has given us access to some funding to help us
with these activities, and we think we have fulfilled our end of the deal
and then some. I am very proud of my colleagues who have orchestrated these
initiatives, and who have provided our membership and the industry with
considerable benefits.

SMART Groups members have found this legislation both expensive and
frustrating.

The committees are totally open to suggestions from the members as to how we
can do more for them, both with this issue and others. Please let us know.

Regards,

Peter

--

Peter Swanson                                      Oxfordshire, England

Honorary Life Vice President

The SMART Group                               http://www.smartgroup.org