TECHNET Archives

June 2006

From:
Dale Ritzen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Dale Ritzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2006 11:04:23 -0500
Quite a lot has been done in regard to this in the design of electronic
assemblies. There are some pretty good white papers out on part placement
changes during board design that minimize this risk, especially during
depanelization. I used to have one saved aside after an incident with a
customer of ours. I'll see if I can find it and post same.

The only solid way we were ever successful in finding these was with a quick
touch with a hot soldering iron. The cracked terminus usually pops off the
pad if it has cracked away from the body of the part. Yes, it does expose
the cap to another shot of high temp, but it does ensure that you detect all
cracked caps and get them replaced. Since caps with cracked terminus
typically don't fail consistently during ICT or functional testing (as they
can be in parallel or be making partial contact to pogo pins which still see
a device), the soldering iron method was our only recourse. But, this is
only practical if you have a consistent problematic area of the board. In a
case where the caps may be located in many areas, trying the soldering iron
technique on an entire board is probably not very timely or cost effective.

Good luck with this. It's a tough one...
Dale Ritzen
Quality Manager
Austin Manufacturing Services