LEADFREE Archives

June 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"John R. Sieber" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2006 12:53:53 -0400
Folks,

There are several meanings to the word 'standards'.  I think Victor
probably means both calibrants and control samples.  Rest assured
that suppliers of reference materials are working on new certified
reference materials for RoHS.  I wrote an article with a list of NIST
SRMs that we think would be useful for RoHS testing.  I'll let the
List know when it is published. (I hope very soon.)  Other national
metrology institutes have materials available or under development
including the National Metrology Institute of Japan, The National
Research Center for Certified Reference Materials in P.R.O.C. and the
EU reference materials people at The Institute for Reference
Materials and Measurements in Belgium.  You can add to the list
private companies.  Here is a partial list of those I'm certain have
CRMs intended for RoHS:  MBH Analytical, Fluxana, Analytical
Reference Materials International, Brammer Standard, Accustandard,
ChemService, Ultra Scientific, Wellington, LGC-Promochem.

I think some vendors of instruments, especially for XRF, provide
standards with the equipment.  Also, XRF fundamental parameters
methods may be pre-calibrated for certain matrices and concentration ranges.

DISCLAIMER - I don't know anything about the quality, availability,
or suitability of products from any of these institutes or companies,
except of course NIST.  The list above is a partial list.  There may
be additional companies supplying reference materials for this purpose.

You may contact me offline if you are looking for CRMs of certain
materials.  NIST has many alloys and some things for BFRs.  No polymers yet.

John Sieber
NIST

At 11:47 AM 6/27/2006, you wrote:
>Are there available "standards" for these instruments?
>
>Victor,

John R. Sieber, PhD
Research Chemist

Chemical Science and Technology Laboratory
Analytical Chemistry Division
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8391
Gaithersburg, MD  20899-8391 USA

Tel:  1.301.975.3920
Fax:  1.301.869.0413
www.cstl.nist.gov/

Identification of commercial items in this document does
not imply endorsement by NIST or that items are

necessarily the best for the purpose stated.