IPC-600-6012 Archives

June 2006

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
Chris Mahanna <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2006 09:41:06 -0400
Franklin,

If the testing and observations are identical there is no reason why you couldn't just cut two reports.  I think this would fly for delam and DWV (you pass through 500V on your way to 1000V).
However, for MIR your customer may have a legitimate concern.  DSCC intends to raise the bar with 500V MIR.  In practice, it sometimes lowers the bar.  The equipment used calculates R by measuring I.  Sometimes (maybe 1 out of 20 samples that I've look at for this phenomena) the leakage current is rather constant no matter what voltage is applied.  So, when you raise the applied voltage, the sample appears better than it actually is.
Of course, in some cases 500V raises the bar, but in these cases you often have a DWV failure.
Historically, the 500V was necessary to get satisfactory SNR, not today.  Today, all it does is greatly increase the cost of the switching.  At any rate, DSCC's hands may be tied because of the huge amount of historical data at 500V.

You could take a strict SI stance and normalize your results with respect to current, e.g. make a statement "my R (calculated to show conformance with IPC) >= 1/5 (R obtained by testing at 500V).

All of this said, the path of least resistance (pun intended) would be to just test twice.

Chris

Chris Mahanna
Quality Manager
Robisan Laboratory Inc.