DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

June 2006

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2006 09:01:09 -0700
Thanks Chris. :)

I have been talking with a few designers and assemblers about assembly
drawings and the type of things folks have to deal with in properly
documenting the assembly. Typically so much attention is paid to the fab of
the bare board that we seldom see a great deal of assembly guidance
happening...

I think we designers can all benefit from learning more about board
assembly... Few of us are working on the same type of design or end product
and each design is a little different from the next... developing standard
notes can be somewhat of a challenge when there are so many options and
potential issues to consider.

I'd like to see a 'boiler plate' of various examples based upon the
different types of board assemblies that can help guide the designer to see
ways they can communicate the design requirements and intent to the
assemblers and manufacturing engineers and keep the inevitable confusion to
a minimum... Maybe some examples based upon digital, RF, microwave, power
supplies, high speed back planes, etc... and also some that highlight the
lead free construction issues... testing the assembled board is also a part
of this too... and I'm looking for some good examples for test requirements,
etc...

I noticed while reviewing the IPC-D-325A spec that there are some examples
in there of assembly drawings, (looks like one came from Teledyne)... there
are a lot of good examples in there of notes and methods to use in producing
the board assembly. We all want a successful board assembly, it never hurts
to go back and review what is there to see if we can improve the content of
our drawings.

Thanks for your inputs Chris... they are greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Bill Brooks
PCB Design Engineer, C.I.D.+
Tel: (760)597-1500 Fax: (760)597-1510