ENVIRONET Archives

June 2006

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
EnviroNet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2006 10:10:30 +0300
From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
I'm afraid there is more journalese than useful info in this article,
Joe. No mention of fuel supplies, recycling or waste disposal. In
particular, there is no distinction between U enriching to 5% for fuel
and to 90% for weaponry. It is not easy to do the former (Iran has
reportedly succeeded in enriching a minute quantity to 5%); it is
hellishly difficult to do the latter (and experts say that Iran has not
the hardware to do the latter in more than milligram quantities, very
largely insufficient to reach criticality).

The article also omits mention that the EPR has further precautions
besides the 4 independent cooling circuits to avoid nasty consequences
of a potential meltdown, such as enormous gravity fed spray systems to
cool the whole reactor, not just the core and a refractory ceramic catch
tray to prevent the "China syndrome" and to separate molten fuel into
manageable size blocks. It also omits the fact that 96% of the fuel used
in the EPR is recycled, the remaining 4% being medium-level isotopic
waste of medium duration (illegal in the USA, because of an old Bill
forbidding recycling of nuclear fuel :-( ). And it implies that France
has not approved the construction of its EPR; it is my understanding
that construction is starting.

I strongly recommend you go through the www.areva.com site, in
particular the EPR_en.wmv video.

I, personally, would have no problems living within a 10 km radius of an
EPR. I would have problems living downstream from a large dam!

Brian

--
http://www.cypenv.org Cyprus environment/energy
http://www.cypenv.org/worldenv World environment/energy