ENVIRONET Archives

June 2006

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
EnviroNet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:36:52 +0300
From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
I agree that fear of the unknown is a major setback. The problem is not
fear but it IS the unknown, simply because the citizenry have remained
uninformed, misinformed and disinformed, especially by activists.

If we are talking about the same event, a nuclear power plant in Japan
was closed down (I don't know for how long) following three deaths from
a major steam burst in the turbine hall. This made headlines because the
steam was generated from a nuclear reactor. If it had been a coal, oil
or gas-fired power station, it would never have reached the
international press. In fact, several such accidents happen each year
from conventional power generation, but I cannot see why the type of
initial heat source has any bearing on the accident and why
nuclear-generated steam is any different from fossil-fuel-generated
steam. It is the word 'nuclear' that the activists use to further their
arguments, even where there is no relevance.

As for Iran, that's pure politics, IMHO. There is nothing in
International Law or the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaties, which Iran
has signed, to disallow any country from pursuing a civil nuclear
programme and Iran is perfectly within their rights to do what they have
done, even according to Dr el-Baradei. Their political error has
probably been to react badly to the US stance, resulting in no
transparency. They are within their rights to enrich uranium to 5% and
to reprocess used fuel. For the moment, I understand that they have
enriched a few grams of U to 4%, sufficient to light a small town for an
hour or two. They are nowhere near the enrichment of 90% or more
required to produce weaponry, nor do they have the capacity to do so.
Yes, if it has taken them 6 weeks to enrich 3 or 4 g to 4% with their
existing equipment, it would take them many decades to enrich sufficient
U to sustain an uncontrolled chain reaction (i.e. a bomb). If the IAEA
had been allowed to do their job correctly without political
interference from the USA, EU, Russia and China, then the situation
would never have arisen. Unfortunately, these countries are the biggest
contributors to the IAEA's revenue, and el-Baradei knows that one cannot
spit on the hand that feeds you. Notwithstanding, if they enrich under
IAEA control for demonstrably civil purposes, I have no problems with that.

Brian

--
http://www.cypenv.org Cyprus environment/energy
http://www.cypenv.org/worldenv World environment/energy