ENVIRONET Archives

June 2006

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
EnviroNet <[log in to unmask]>
From:
MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2006 01:24:20 -0500
Hi Joe, Brian, EnviroNet Listservers,

Joe, I really don't know much about the environmental effects, or the
global energy effiency of Nuclear Power plants. I have seen a little here
and there over the years you, Brian, I, and others have lived on this earth
yet not a lot that has fully informed me about this energy option.

I know the French like it, and some others in the EU don't like this
option. Every country's resources is a bit different.

I will read Brian's notes again so I will learn a bit more on one side of
the equation (the supply side), not the disposal side.

SO Anyway, Nuclear Power has a bad rap based on Nuclear and "A" bombs used
in warfare and "sloppy management" of Nuclear Power facilities like in the
Ukraine. In Japan even though a Nuclear Power plant was more immune to
earth quakes then the rest of their infrastructure the Japanese citizenry
made a major power plant close. They probably were afraid of another home
grown Hiroshima.

Again it seems like fear is the prime motivator against Nuclear Power on
one side of the table. On the other side (Iran) it seems like Nuclear Power
is either a "we want to be one of the big boys" or they really need Nuclear
Power so that they can sell and make an income out of their land resources.

Yours in Engineering, Dave
YiEngr MA/NY DDave