ENVIRONET Archives

June 2006

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
EnviroNet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2006 09:43:09 +0300
From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Joe

Not only is there plenty of uranium, there is three times as much
thorium which is easily processed into fuel. If we extracted all the
uranium dissolved in the oceans, we could run all today's power stations
throughout the world for thousands of years, without even recycling. The
Japanese are developing a passive system for U-extraction from the sea
which looks quite promising but is too expensive to be competitive at
today's prices.

Did you know that the advent of the filament lamp cut exposure to
chronic radiation in developed countries by a factor of 10? Why? Because
we used coal gas as our main energy source and lighting was largely
achieved by a Bunsen-flame heating a mantle which glowed with a bright
greenish light. The mantle was a beehive-shaped matrix of thorium
dioxide, formed by burning away a muslin bag impregnated with it. The
mantles were quite radioactive and placing one near a box of
photographic plates would fog them. The use of such mantles continued in
households until ~1950 in poorer parts, where electricity was too
expensive. For the anecdote, I can remember the lamplighters going round
the streets at dusk with their stick to light the gaslights, in my
boyhood town of Edinburgh, both before and after the war (blackout during!).

Brian

--
http://www.cypenv.org Cyprus environment/energy
http://www.cypenv.org/worldenv World environment/energy