ENVIRONET Archives

June 2006

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
EnviroNet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 2006 07:33:22 -0700
7bit
From:
Charles Dolci <[log in to unmask]>
Brian
Interesting exercise, and it gives one an idea of where you are coming
from. Lies and distortions (something the New York Times excells at) are
one thing, partiality is another. For as I said in my earlier posting,
partiality is largely a matter of perspective.

In defense of parochialism,  one can lament the fact, but it is a fact
nonetheless, that it is of slightly greater importance to the world what
happens in the US than what happens in Burkina Faso. Secondly, American
media, by and large (CNN pretends otherwise), are reporting American
news and relevant world news to an American audience, so it should be
neither surprising nor distressing that they give the news an American
perspective. We do not object  to others eavesdropping on our news, but
 it remains American news for an American audience.

Personally I listened to PBS for many years but got tired (nay, sick and
tired) of its one dimensional and biased approach to the news.  Besides
it had a snobbish, holier than though attitude in everything it did. I
don't listen to or read any of the main stream media (only rarely listen
to Fox News). CNN makes me want to puke.
Don't speak French so France 2 is out.

Chuck

Brian Ellis wrote:

> [...]
> found them less partial and less parochial than the major chains. In a
> recent post, I wrote:
> "I watch regularly US, UK, European, Swiss, Chinese, Arabic and other
> satellite news and I'm always astounded at the different distortions
> given to a single news item. I'm not "getting at" Americans, but
> American newscasts, particulary Fox but also CNN and MSNBC are the most
> selective propaganda and narrow-minded of all of them. Strangely, for
> international affairs not directly involving China, the Chinese English
> Channel 9 is among the most impartial in their reporting."
> Subjectively, I give the following scores out of ten for partiality and
> parochialism respectively, high score = worst case.
> Fox 10 9
> CNN 8 6
> BBC 5 6
> Euronews 4 7
> MSNBC 8 8
> TSR1 4 9
> China 2 NA (international news only)
> Egypt 8 9
> TF1 7 10
> France2 7 9
> CyBC1 10 10
> (PBS 6 7) (limited experience)
>
> So, you see, I don't think that PBS is any worse than most
> newscasting/current affairs media and is better than most. If you wish
> to see 100% biased reporting, our local news takes the biscuit - I never
> watch it.
>
> Brian
>

> Charles Dolci wrote:
>
>> Steve
>> Interesting take. Personally, I consider PBS and its programs to be
>> among the most biased TV and radio networks out there.
>> The facts they lay out are the facts they want to lay out and they
>> underplay or ignore the alternative views and facts that do not support
>> their position.
>> I guess it is all a matter of perspective.
>>
>> Chuck D.
>>
>> Steve Gregory wrote:
>>
>>> This thread has changed from what it was in the beginning, and I would
>>> like to comment about what it now is; lying politicians. I watched a
>>> program last night on PBS (Public Broadcasting System) called
>>> Frontline.
>>> The program was called "Darkside". Of all media programs, I consider
>>> PBS
>>> to be one of the most unbiased television networks out there. Most of
>>> the programs that I have watched on PBS normally just lay out the facts
>>> and then let the viewer decide what opinion to form...that's why I
>>> enjoy
>>> PBS.
>>>
>>> "Darkside" shows through newsclips, interviews and documents how Cheney
>>> and Rumsfeld manipulated information (or the lack of), to get the US
>>> into war with Iraq. I can't tell you how p*ssed-off I am with our
>>> current administration after watching this program...
>>>
>>> If you would like to watch this program online, it will be available

>>> audience (his people, not the international scene); c) the Farsi