ENVIRONET Archives

June 2006

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
EnviroNet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2006 13:00:22 +0300
From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Chuck,

I don't receive PBS here so am not really able to judge, but I always
watched PBS, when possible, on my visits to the UBS, mainly because I
found them less partial and less parochial than the major chains. In a
recent post, I wrote:
"I watch regularly US, UK, European, Swiss, Chinese, Arabic and other
satellite news and I'm always astounded at the different distortions
given to a single news item. I'm not "getting at" Americans, but
American newscasts, particulary Fox but also CNN and MSNBC are the most
selective propaganda and narrow-minded of all of them. Strangely, for
international affairs not directly involving China, the Chinese English
Channel 9 is among the most impartial in their reporting."
Subjectively, I give the following scores out of ten for partiality and
parochialism respectively, high score = worst case.
Fox 10 9
CNN 8 6
BBC 5 6
Euronews 4 7
MSNBC 8 8
TSR1 4 9
China 2 NA (international news only)
Egypt 8 9
TF1 7 10
France2 7 9
CyBC1 10 10
(PBS 6 7) (limited experience)

So, you see, I don't think that PBS is any worse than most
newscasting/current affairs media and is better than most. If you wish
to see 100% biased reporting, our local news takes the biscuit - I never
watch it.

Brian

>>> http://www.cypenv.org/worldenv World environment/energy
>>> http://www.cypenv.org/weather Cyprus weather