TECHNET Archives

May 2006

From:
Matthew Park <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Matthew Park <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2006 10:19:59 -0500
Andrew,

I came across X-ray laminography 8 years ago when I attended an AOI
seminar. It detects open , bridge and cracked solder joints by 3D
imaging and non-destructive method.  Now, HP makes 5DX digital
laminography machines (formerly, Four Pi system). I was told HP sells
these machines by pounds since each weights a couple of tons.

Here is a link to get you started with digital laminography.
http://www.dgzfp.de/pages/tagungen/berichtsbaende/bb_67-CD/bb67_v11.pdf

thanks

Matthew S. Park
Vansco Electronics.

Good Morning Technetters,

I have been reading this forum for some time now and have thoroughly
enjoyed learning from group
(including the lesson on good and bad puns).

I am hoping that the collective wisdom can help me out again.  We are
manufacturer of embedded
computer boards for the military industry.  As a result, these board
tend
to be fairly complex, very dense,
and very expensive.  Some of our boards are conformally coated and the
BGA
components are underfilled.
The conformal coat is removable with solvent and the underfill is
reworkable at solder rework temperatures.

My problem is failure analysis of the solder balls that may be embedded
in
the underfill.  Thusfar, we have
not had a significant problem, but I am still stuck with the dilemma of
how
to analyze a solder joint problem
without destructive cross-sectioning of the very expensive PCB
assembly.

On boards without underfill/conformal coat, we have had good success
in
many cases with optical imaging
under the BGA package (Ersascope).  On the underfilled boards, we have
tried acoustic imaging and
several X-ray systems, but none seem to provide the resolution
necessary to
determine a possible solder
joint problem.  Due to the cost of these assemblies and our need to
provide
the utmost in product reliability,
I would like to consider any means of analyzing a suspect solder
joint,
without having to cross sectioning
the board unless I know that there really is a solder joint problem
(as
opposed to a component or
PCB/HDI problem).

I was wondering if any Technetters have come upon a similar problem
and
found a solution.
Thanks!

Andrew Shieh