TECHNET Archives

May 2006

From:
Happy Holden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 May 2006 14:46:51 -0400
Hi Loan,
I guess you are working on Monday while we have it off.
We use a two step qualification process.
1. A discussion is set up to make sure the fabricator understands the LF
assembly & repair process.  Td, T260 and T288 of the proposed FR4 that
will be used to fab the boards is reviewed and approved.
2. An initial qualifying order is built and some boards are sacrificed to
the 3X 288C-10 sec solder dip and well as simple coupons on the panel
border.  All are cross-sectioned and sent with the Qual Order.
3. The Qual boards are ran through the LF Assembly process and APPROVED or
NOT.
4. If APPROVED, then with each order, the coupons go thru the 3X 288C-10
sec solder dip and are cross-sectioned.  They are shipped with the order.
If the coupons are good, then they should not have lost the recipe'.
Eventually, you can drop the requirement for coupons on each order and
just do it semi-annually.

Happy Holden
Asian Pacific Materials

"Tempea, Ioan" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
05/29/2006 07:55 AM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
"Tempea, Ioan" <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: [TN] Rohs Weeeeeee board material

Thanks Happy!

A comprehensive answer, pretty much the way I used to see it.

But I have another one: what kind of proof should I ask that the boards
are able to withstand all this? What tests will be done by the
manufacturer and what test results do I have to ask for?

I mean, a manufacturer might pretend their boards comply, we receive them,
and they fail. The easy thing is to say that I disqualify them. But due to
these bad boards I might loose business and get bad publicity, so it is
not that simple.

So what should it be, T288 delam, as many graphs as the specified number
of cycles, after each thermal cycle simulation through a solder float at
the specified peak temperatures? That would request many test coupons
though.

Regards,

Ioan