TECHNET Archives

May 2006

From:
"Whittaker, Dewey (AZ75)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Whittaker, Dewey (AZ75)
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2006 14:15:38 -0700
Werner,
Actually, I am the Chair of IPC-4101, so don't blame Doug Sober.
In principle, I agree with what you say, but you are not the only one with an opinion and wanting to present data. I have at this time 7 requests to look at data to support a change to a present Test Method; to change minimum values; or to propose a new Test Method to determine the acceptability of a material to an existing slash sheet or use in a Lead-Free environment. This is on top of many requests to list the numbers in a different qualitative or quantitative method. There are a few slash sheets that have the minimum mandatory requirements defined that would facilitate their use as a true high-rel Lead-Free candidate, but there is a lot of work to do to gain consensus.
The best material in the world does not a process make and IMHO no dicy-cured FR-4 need apply for high-rel, high layer count, Class 3/3A Aerospace, Lead-Free compliant product. We need people to work together to help IPC-4101 be the best it can be at the present time. This work then has to be carried over to IPC-600, IPC-6011, IPC-6012 and IPC-2221. I have just finished the re-write of 6011 and 6012. We are working on the others in special groups. When this is done it has to be correlated with the requirements in IPC J-STD-001 and IPC-A-610.
Even having done all that, it is still imperative that the Designer and Engineer work together to establish Design Guidelines that will optimize the material and process choices covered in the aforementioned documents.
Dewey