TECHNET Archives

May 2006

From:
Kevin Glidden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2006 14:37:45 -0400
Agreed - thank you to all!

Kevin Glidden
Manufacturing Engineer
Luminescent Systems Inc.
4 Lucent Drive
Lebanon, NH 03766-1439
Tel # (603) 643-7766 ext. 3152
Fax # (603) 643-5947

-----Original Message-----
From: TechNet [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Burke
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 2:26 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [TN] Ionic Tester filter media ?

Awesome answer...

John

-----Original Message-----
From: TechNet [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Brian Ellis
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 1:01 AM
To: [log in to unmask]

As ex-manufacturer of the Contaminometer, please permit me to add some
thoughts. As the name implies, ion-exchange resins exchange, er, ions.
Imagine you have some NaCl in your solution, the Na+ ion is "captured"
and replaced by an H+ ion. The Cl- anion is replaced by an OH- ion. As they
are of opposite electrical charges, If H+ shakes hands with OH-, they get
married, their charges cancel out and you get a molecule of H2O, so your
salt molecule becomes replaced by a water molecule. After a few minutes of
passing your solution through the column, nearly alll the ionic contaminants
are captured and replaced by water.

I have done a bit of research to find the ideal resin for this job. I hit on
the Rohm & Haas Amberlite MB-1 but not just any MB-1. New resins do not work
well. My supplier was the Swiss importer and regenerator.
Regeneration was done in batches, firstly by separation of the cationic and
anionic resins gravimetrically, treating and rinsing each, removing any
broken beads, mixing the two types back again in the right proportions. Each
batch is then thoroughly tested for 1. mass of salt which it will exchange,
2. conductivity of water it will produce and 3.
rate of exchange. Whenever he got an exceptionally good batch, he put a drum
of it to one side especially for my company. When we bought a drum (about 4
x per year), we tested it as well, especially for the conductivity of a 50%
IPA/water mix; our internal spec was that it had to reach 0.005 µS-cm from 1
µS-cm within 3 minutes in a given Contaminometer model (we used an old CM-1A
for the test). From 1978 to 1991, when we ceded the brand, we rejected only
one batch. New resins got nowhere near that value.

Now, here is something that may surprise the unitiated: if you fill a column
with resins, as received, and then pass an IPA/water solution through them,
three things will happen: 1. the solution will turn cloudy; 2. the solution
will drastically change proportions; 3. about ¼ of your resins will
apparently disappear. I don't know the why of the cloudiness but I do know
it disappears after a few minutes of regeneration, leaving no residue in the
solution, so I wasn't bothered.
The change in proportions of the solution is obvious; as supplied, it
contains an enormous volume of water, and this is exchanged for the solution
within the resin beads. The apparent disappearance of resins is for the same
reason: if you take 1 l of IPA and 1 l of water, you do not get 2 l of
mixture, you get a lot less. So the volume of resins diminishes as they are
subjected to the mixture. For these reasons, we always preconditioned the
resins we sold with an IPA/water solution, whether in columns or in
replacement packages.

Now for the crunch. You have used a column for 6 or 18 months. It is no
longer good enough (some of our models' computers warned users when the rate
of regeneration was becoming too slow). What is in those resins?
All the ions that have been removed from your test boards: lead, copper,
nickel, silver, tin, perhaps even cyanides or other nasty organic anions
(this is why they sometimes took on a greenish cast when there was a lot of
copper in them). Yes, those resins have turned from a benign, non-toxic
material into a HazMat and must be treated accordingly. We warned users
never to dump used resins. We encouraged users to return them to us for
correct disposal and some did. Whenever we got a drum full of used resins,
we returned them to the regenerators who treated them accordingly. Because
they required special treatment, we were never credited with the value of
the resins, as would have been the case if they had been used for deionising
water, but we didn't pay, either. So, do remember used resins are toxic and
hazardous.

And the reason they do not remove the IPA is that it is a polar solvent but
is much less ionic than even 0.056 µS-cm water, therefore there are no ions
in it to exchange.

I hope this answers your questions.

Brian

Kevin Glidden wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what is in the cartridges of the ionic testers that
> removes contaminants?  Why does it not also remove the alcohol and
> just
make
> plain DI?
>

> Kevin Glidden
> Manufacturing Engineer
> Luminescent Systems Inc.
> 4 Lucent Drive
> Lebanon, NH 03766-1439
> Tel # (603) 643-7766 ext. 3152
> Fax # (603) 643-5947

> the BODY (NOT the subject field): SIGNOFF Technet To temporarily halt
> or (re-start) delivery of Technet send e-mail to
> http://listserv.ipc.org/archives Please visit IPC web site
> http://www.ipc.org/contentpage.asp?Pageid=4.3.16

BODY (NOT the subject field): SIGNOFF Technet To temporarily halt or
(re-start) delivery of Technet send e-mail to
[log in to unmask]: SET Technet NOMAIL or (MAIL) To receive ONE mailing per
day of all the posts: send e-mail to
BODY (NOT the subject field): SIGNOFF Technet To temporarily halt or
(re-start) delivery of Technet send e-mail to [log in to unmask]: SET Technet
NOMAIL or (MAIL) To receive ONE mailing per day of all the posts: send
e-mail to [log in to unmask]: SET Technet Digest Search the archives of
site http://www.ipc.org/contentpage.asp?Pageid=4.3.16 for additional