TECHNET Archives

May 2006

From:
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2006 10:15:05 -0500
Steve,
The ability to shear the leads is dependent on the lead material. If
they are copper or bronze, no problem. If they are Kovar, problem.
In any case, it may be beyond the ability of commercial leadformers, but
you can check out Schleuniger, as they make those types of lead trimming
equipment.
They use an angled blade, so you are really only cutting a few leads at
a time.
I once developed my own shear for a similar connector but it had Kovar
leads, very hard metal to cut. I used a Bimba pneumatic cylinder press
turned horizontal, and mounted it on the bottom of a platform with a
steel bed above it. The connector was then placed into the holes drilled
into the steel bed, and when the footpedal was activated the Bimba press
pushed a diaganal tool steel cutter along the bottom of the bed, thus
trimming the leads. It worked extremely well, so much so that we built
several of them for similar radial lead trimming applications. It was
much cheaper than buying the commercial presses.