TECHNET Archives

May 2006

From:
Greg Major <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2006 10:08:25 +1200
Hi All,

1st Technet posting so apologies if format is wrong.

I have read a number of studies showing that SN62 alloy is superior in fatigue
failure (and thermal cycling) to 63/37.  (eg "Fatigue Failure in a model SMD
joint" Tin Research Institute 1989).

"....this is interpreted as the precipitated Ag3Sn phase decreasing the
recrystallisation rate within the lamellar structure"

And again in "Reliability of soldered joints: A description of the state of
the art" Philips SMD manufacturing technology centre.

However I'm perfectly happy to stand corrected; the best article I found on
SMD failure modes generally, was by one W Engelmaier, "Surface Mount Solder
Joint Long-term reliabilityy: Design, testing, prediction" 1989!  So I'm
amongst my superiors!

cheers

Greg Major