TECHNET Archives

May 2006

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2006 11:10:13 +0300
Whoa! You are 100% wrong.

1. Freon was not a good defluxing solvent; it was adequate and no more.
Subsequent substitution by other methods all showed better cleanliness
levels.

2. Enteric fermentation in cattle did nothing, either for or against
ozone depletion. It produces methane which contributes to the greenhouse
effect and subsequent climate change.

3. Tiles falling off the Shuttle were because of impact with insulation
falling from the liquid gas fuel tanks and had nothing to do with Freon.

4. NASA is environmentally responsible but not to the point of
compromising safety. The solid fuel booster rockets are still
manufactured with 1,1,1-trichloroethane, which is a controlled substance
under the Montreal Protocol and for which they have been granted an
exemption, because this is the only substance found that ensures the
integrity of the bond between the rocket casing and the insulation and
between the insulation and the fuel itself. This is important, as the
bond covers the redesigned joints that failed, causing the Challenger
disaster.

When you proclaim such rubbish, you lose all credibility for the rest of
your message. This is shown by your claim that the IPC preached
"lead-free" backed up by scientific data. They preached it to be "with
it". The IPC, in fact, may have contributed largely towards helping RoHS
and the present situation.

Brian