TECHNET Archives

May 2006

From:
Daniel Blass <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Daniel Blass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2006 15:09:34 -0500
Blair,

It sounds like you are generating your own data on this but you can do a
google search for: manual assembly defect rates or hand insertion defect
rates.  Generally the more complex or the greater number of parts, the
greater teh likelyhood of defects.

Then do a search for odd form automation or odd form assembly.  There are
flexible placement equipment and feeders available for automating odd-form
assembly.

Regards,

Dan Blass
Process Research Engineer
Area Array Consortium
Surface Mount Technology Lab
Universal Instruments Corporation
http://www.uic.com/wcms/WCMS2.nsf/index/Global_Svc_Support_31.html

On Fri, 12 May 2006 14:12:22 -0400, Blair K. Hogg
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>We perform both automated and hand part placement in our PCB assembly
processes. We do much of our hand placement in cells where an operator is
essentially placing all of the non-machine placeable components on the
board. On some assemblies this comes to quite a few components that are
hand-placed. The board is then sent through a wave solder machine.

>The cellular concept has come about recently as a result of our
implementation of lean manufacturing. However, we are concerned that we may
be asking our operators to do too many placements of too many different
components. Our defect counts for mis-placed components seem to be rising.
Prior to making cells, we would set up a PCB order to run with several
operators placing a smaller number of components in somewhat of an assembly
line.

>Have any studies been done that anyone knows of which limit the number of
distinct component placements an operator can make before they start making
too many mistakes? I realize this will probably vary by operator, an I am
looking to see if there is any general information out there.