TECHNET Archives

May 2006

From:
"Dehoyos, Ramon" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Dehoyos, Ramon
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2006 13:44:13 -0400

        In name plate making we use a black ink that we smear on the
plate after it is letter punched. The excess is cleaned and inked is
left in the grooves. I am sure that there are other colors that stand
out better than black. A number punched or engraved on the tools that
correspond to a slot in a tray and that is in an Excel spread sheet
makes it easier to control and you have a list of what you have and
perhaps what tools are used the most and if needed, order extras. We
have a several tool managers and the tools are kept locked. The tickets
have worked just fine. For larger tools we use Brady labels. Yes there
is extra work upfront, but once a system is put in place, it works by
itself with very little effort. In a previous life I had over 500 tools
to manage in a Gondola. When they came to me they came in boxes from
different parts of the States. The system should be such that any 12
year old can find things with very little effort. It should not be
necessary to be called in on weekends or second shift to find a tool
because production is stopped. Tool managing is basic and critical.
        Humbly Regards,
        Ramon