TECHNET Archives

May 2006

From:
Genny Gibbard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Genny Gibbard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2006 16:23:55 -0600
Smart thinking on the groove with colour.
I was thinking colour-coding too, but figured if punched numbers got
hard to read after a while, colour paint would probably wear off after a
little while as well. The grooves might be readable for a little longer,
unless they get covered with grease, etc.
With colour coding, you could label the drawers with the same colour
code, and then it is easy to put them away..as long as the colour code
on the tool can't be inverted and filed in a different drawer.
We assigned colours to different lines and then used to dip some of our
hand tools in a type of rubberized paint to match the line colour, but
people would just pick at it sort of absentmindedly, and after a while
it would just peel off and be gone.
The 2D scanning - that is ideal, but how much is the scanning system
going to cost, if you don't already use it in your shop...
The foam thing from someone else sounds like a 5S idea and works for
some tools.  But you're right, if they are similar in size, it won't
help.
Anyway, the simpler the idea the better.
Our equipment guy is always emailing around "does anyone have yyy tool",
even though they have a sign-out system and numbers assigned to all
tools, with a label on each tool.
Tools that are used by many people, where all users have easy access to
them, but none of the users have "ownership" of them are always an issue
to control.