TECHNET Archives

May 2006

From:
"Kane, Amol (349)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Kane, Amol (349)
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2006 10:27:07 -0400
Intrusive reflow is a process where solder paste is printed on the thru holes, the thru hole components are inserted and the whole assembly is then reflowed. The printed solder wicks in the PTH and forms top side and bottom side fillets. Here, both the SMT and TH components are processed at the same time. It leads to time savings and savings in equipment (wave or selective soldering equipment is not needed).

Some issues are to be able to decide accurately how much solder volume is needed, having the space to overprint that solder volume on the PTHs and the TH components to be able to withstand reflow temperatures.

Amol Kane
M.S (Industrial Eng.)
Process Engineer
Harvard Custom Manufacturing