TECHNET Archives

April 2006

From:
Jason Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Jason Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 14:50:37 -0500
Werner,

The way I see it is this:

a physical object is limited in it's ability to absorb heat only by itself.
It's design of materials determines the rate in which it will absorb the
heat. While the vapor phase technology does allow the heat to transfer
faster, it is still only a method of heat transfer. In a convection
atmosphere, I can run the belt speed up, but I also have to increase the
preheat temps and tinker with the last two or three zones to get the peak
temp there and let it stay for <x> amount of time. as long as I stay in the
4 to 5 minute process time, I am alright. The same can be said for vapor
phase. I can raise the temp in the chamber, I just need to let it be there a
shorter amount of time. It's virtually impossible to overheat the board, but
parts can be shocked. I just make sure I utilize the preheat section for
just that.

Of course, the other variables, such as flux activation, must be observed as
well.

Jason Gregory
Manufacturing Engineer
Innova Electronics