TECHNET Archives

April 2006

From:
"Gregg A. Owens" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Gregg A. Owens
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2006 22:19:30 -0700
Dear Prasad:

Good question. Wish everyone was as diligent to line up the IPC standards.
J-STD-001 is the IPC Standard for soldering process for electronic
assemblies. As such it provides the user with only sufficient information to
ensure that their soldering materials & process are controllable &
repeatable (and for class 3 documented). (Try to find a temperature setting
for a soldering iron used to make a solder joint. You won't find any.
(Appendix B contains the only reference to temperatures but as an appendix
statement it is only enforceable if the contract states the appendix is
required under the contract.)

The IPC-7711/7721 is a GUIDELINE not a Standard. Therefore as a guideline
its individual procedures are to be approved by the user and communicated to
the manufacturer. That is why you have several different procedures (or
methods) for the same rework/repair operation.

I would suggest it would be up to the user engineering staff to determine
whether a particular Rework/Repair Procedure would meet a products form, fit
and function requirements in the product's end use. However the
IPC-7711A/7721A guidelines are based for non-destructive procedures. So in
general any of the procedures should generally be safe to use. But the old
"it depends" comes into play as always.

Hope this clarifies the relationship between the two.

Gregg A. Owens, MIT
Executive Director
Manufacturing Technology Training Center, Inc.