TECHNET Archives

April 2006

From:
Reuven ROKAH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:39:22 +0300
Hello All,

I recommend to check the forces balance between the PCB side solder joint
to the BGA/CGA side.

Differences in the forces can cause cracks at the weak side.

So, rectangular pad in one side and round pad at other side should be
design carefully.

Best  Regards

Reuven  ROKAH

e mail: [log in to unmask]

             John Burke
             <jburke@OPTICHRON
             .COM>                                                      To
             Sent by: TechNet          [log in to unmask]
             <[log in to unmask]>                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
             24/04/2006 19:32          Re: [TN] BGA and CGA pad questions.

             Please respond to
              TechNet E-Mail
                   Forum
             ; Please respond
                John Burke
             <jburke@OPTICHRON
                   .COM>

Now Joe, if you really wanted me to think like a lawyer I would argue as
follows:

Example 1 Mask at pad periphery

Not normal since boards need a clearance on the mask to avoid mask on
the pads.

Example 2 Mask opened up to give a tolerance to the pad

Which is normal, and will give a smaller or larger "keyhole effect"
depending on the clearance to the pad.

The above example has been in existence for ever, and if they ever go
get the Ark from up on mount Ararat, they will probably find this mask
clearance in the boards on the GPS system............8-)

So maybe we are not talking pad design at all here, maybe we are talking
solder mask window opening.

John

John Burke
Senior Manager - Operations , Optichron