TECHNET Archives

April 2006

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2006 11:03:19 +0300
Under the circumstances you describe, it would appear that the
post-surface treatment cleaning is inadequate as residual contamination
must be remaining in the holes. You do not mention the PTH diameter and
small holes are capillary traps. Wash water will flood into the holes
but if clean rinse water cannot displace the contaminated wash water,
your problem becomes logical.

Rinsing is always a difficult problem and I recommend that the cleaning
equipment has rinse bars that form a fine spray, with droplet sizes
smaller than the hole diameter, so that many droplets impinging on a
hole will displace the capillary-held water. There is an optimum spray
velocity, as well. Too small and the displacement will be inadequate;
too great and you will get break-up of droplets rather than
displacement. I would suggest that velocities of 3-5 m/s at the board
surface would be a good starting point.

Another important point is that the cleaning should happen as soon as
possible after the contaminating process is completed.

Brian

--
http://www.cypenv.org Cyprus environment/energy
http://www.cypenv.org/worldenv World environment/energy