TECHNET Archives

April 2006

From:
Syed Sajid Ahmad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Syed Sajid Ahmad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:34:57 -0500
I will try to test my memory here on some of the things which I glanced over
recently. Nano experts are welcome to make additions and corrections.

Nanotubes are already used in composite structures to enhance their
strength. Nanotube strength has been simulated to be very high.

Nanotubes have been used to enhance conductivity of conductive adhesives.
Separation caused by the presence of adhesives is reduced with the proper
distribution of nanotubes which provide conductive paths between the
conductive particles while staying in the adhesive.

DNA can be conductive, semiconducting or insulative depending on its
structure. This opens a vast field of research but actual devices in
manufacturing could be years away.

Metal like gold can be attached in symmetry to DNA.

Silver has been grown around DNA to create a nanowire.

Nanowires of various materials have been demonstrated (No DNA involved
here). They will aid future miniaturization progress.

DNA strands have been shown to perform complex computations by the
elimination or creation of desired and undesired combinations.

DNA can be used to make memory or computing media, may be hexabytes in a
cubic cm.

Packed nanoparticles have much higher strength than the same material in
bulk.

Thermal spray to produce nanoparticles or nanolayers of materials gives rise
to miniaturization. They also are shown to have enhanced mechanical
properties.

Future systems can be based on DNA because of its special properties.

Etc.