TECHNET Archives

April 2006

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 17:31:54 +0100
I offer the following additional comment on VPR as a technique not to any
specific machine.

The latest generation VPR machines are much better than the 1980's types.
However you do need to be a little sceptical of some of the claims for some
machine types.
Yes the delta t at peak reflow is less, it's inherent in the process and
makes VPR a good choice for prototypes, low run builds or assemblies with
acute or odd thermal loadings.
But
What about the ramp up? some machines do not address this very well,
particularly on the second board.

VPR is claimed to be anaerobic but that is only true  after a time in a
fully saturated vapour system (when all air has been replaced by the
vapour), if the machine
Depends on a variable vapour concentration for heating profile it can't be
saturated.
At the same time the condensation is possibly going to be variable on the
ramp up according to component or local mass so the big claim of VPR for low
delta T can be some what overstated  when considering the process as a
whole...

Actually there is always going to be some air in the reflow zone, the best I
ever measured (on the 180s machines admitted) was about 100-150 ppm oxygen
equivalent, be interesting to know what users are actually getting.

The capacity of VPR for very rapid uniform heat transfer with little
mechanical stress can not be over estimated, (up to 50C/second is possible)
but if this is taken advantage of on soldering then the flux volatiles will
demonstrate that property dramatically. Conversely this is facility is good
for curing polymers /adhesives.

Regards

Mike Fenner
Indium Corporation