LEADFREE Archives

April 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2006 09:19:32 EDT
Yes, indeed, a solder joint (under the category of soft solders) goes through
degradation and damaging mechanim(s) during its service life, regardless of
alloys.

However, among the commercially-used Pb-free alloys, the solder joint
integrity under high temperature aging or through temperature cycling excursion
particularly a longer dwell time at the high-end temperature (in a testing setup,
for example, 30 minutes or 2 hours in lieu of 10 minutes) is expected to
perform as below in an ascending order:

SnCu
SnAgCu, SnAg
SnAgCuSb
SnAgCuBi, SnAgCuIn, SnAgBiIn

Note that some testing conditions or service environment may not be
discriminating enough to reveal the difference.

Back in late 1980s, even before the research and evaluation started, we knew
that any working Pb-free alloy must be based on Sn for both fundamental
scientific and pragmatic manufacturing reasons.

With all wishes to have a working binary alloy, yet we knew that none of the
binary alloys can fill the role for reflow surface mount soldering covering
all designs and end-use requirements. But at the time, what we did not know was
that whether a ternary system could do the job under the established
manufacturing infrastructure (including established flux chemistry, operating modules
on the production floor, metallurgical phenomena, etc.).

As such, the systematic and significant effort was directed to ternary
alloys, particularly the SnAgBi, SnAgCu, SnAgZn, Mg-containing alloys and others.
After a solid and systematic evaluation, in early-mid 1990s, it was becoming
clear that a ternary alloy is unable to fulfill the mission for all applications.
Consequently, the effort had to go further to the quaternary systems.

Again, welcome any tests or life performance to confirm and deny the
performance trends cited.

Regards,
Jennie Hwang

Dr. Jennie Hwang